13 August, 2013

The Art of Margaret Early

I have two treasured children's books, retold and illustrated by Australian artist, Margaret Early.

The titles are Robin Hood and The Sleeping Beauty.  Margaret does exquisite work.  Each painting is a gem. Her other books in this series include William Tell and Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves.

All these beautiful books were published by Walter McVitty Books in Australia.  The production is excellent.

Unfortunately, I do believe these books are now out of print so I'll be hanging on to my copies to enjoy with the grandchildren.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

The Sleeping Beauty

The Sleeping Beauty

3 comments:

Lee said...

How beautiful! Hopefully they'll come back in print soon. It would be such a shame that today's youngsters missed out on these.

Deborah Niland said...

Each painting would have taken ages to do with all its pattern and detail.
Thanks Lee, for commenting!

Beatriz Becker said...

Thanks for sharing these beautiful illustrations, Deborah. I have "Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves" myself, and it is just as impressive. If I recall correctly Margaret Early studied Indian miniature painting, which would explain her excellence in details.